Durham Tees Valley Area M.V.T.

Ken's Vehicles (Return to Contents page) (Return to Members Vehicles)

Fv 1600 Humber Wireless Light

Technical Description:-

Length :-16ft 2 inch. .......Width :- 6ft 10 inch ..... Height :- 8ft 10 3/4 inch.

Weight (unladen) :-... 4.8 Ton.......... Weight :- (laden) :- .5 Ton

Engine :- B60 Mk5A . 6 Cylinder 4.2 litre

Max Speed:- 55 MPH. .............. Fuel :- 9 MPG

Gears :- All syncro 5 Forward + 1 Reverse

Electrical System :- Water proof 24v + split charging for radios

Fv 1600 Humber Wireless Light

This is a radio communications vehicle has been restored to a condition typical of vehicles issued to RM Commando (Forward Command Posts), Royal Artillary (Gunnary Control Centers) and Royal signals (HF & Radio Relay Detachments).

This particular vehical is badged 12 Brigade Royal Signals and is shown towing a Coventry Climax 6.5 KVa air cooled petrol generator. It is also fitted with the Larkspur range of radio stations

Following the issue of British Army's 'B' series soft skinned standardised range of vehicles this particular vehicle was introduced into British Army service in 1956 and and served untill 1967 where it was sold off at Ruddington auctions for the princely sum of £90.

Photo shows the vehicle on the Hull dock side awaiting loading en route to the military show at Ursel in Belgium 2007



 

FV1604 Humber Wireless Light

Larkspur range of radio systems were rolled out to all arms of the British Army from 1955 and were the used well into the mid 80's. The photo shows (left hand side) a C11/R210 HF radio station as issued to Royal Signals units, the station to the right is a C13 HF radio. When co-located they can be used for re-broadcast between different units i.e. infantry and artillary or armoured units or simply as communication centres at higher command levels.

Both station radios are powered by 24v dc battery supply from one of two pairs of 12v batteries, one pair in use while the second is being charged. The vehicle is capable of operating stationary or on the move (given mobile antenna limitations). Battery charging being provided either by the vehicle engine generator or a seperate portable petrol engined generator, common issue for this purpose was the BSA 300w 24v charging unit and would be stored in a compartment at the rear of the vehicle. Control of this charging/power distribution is provided by the control unit located under the radio table.

 

 

 

Austin Champ

This is a TRUCK 1/4 ton Fitted For Radio (FFR) FV1801A/1

Commonly known as the 'Austin Champ' an all independantly sprung vehicle fully waterproofed to wade at depths of up to 6ft 6" and capable of speeds up to 60+ mph both forwards and in reverse.

This partiular vehicle was born in 1955 and retired from military service in 1967 it is currently badged as 12 Brigade Royal Signals and equipped with Larkspur Cll/R210 HF and C42 VHF radio stations as used by Royal Signals regiments.

Photo shows me testing the wading capabilities, the water level is just below the air intake a snorkle would need to be fitted for deeper wading. Radios were removed for this particular exercise.

 

Testing the Wading capabilities


 

FV1801A/1 Austin Champ + Sankey Mk2 Trailer

Trailer is 1/2 ton Sankey Mk2 with reversable draw bar.

This particular ex generator trailer has been restored as a GS trailer, the reversable draw bar enables it to be used with the different towing eye heights of both the Champ and Humber 1 Ton Radio Truck shown above.

 


6.5Kva Coventry Climax Generator


Coventry Climax 6.5 KVa generator

This is an air cooled petrol engined generator as issued to a number of operational units, its primary role was to provide power in the field for HQ and specialist units where command and control was required. Further use was made as a primary power source for multiple vehicle and radio battery charging.

This generator would form part of a communication complex or REME workshop facility.

This particular generator is dated late 40's early 50's and currently forms part of the Humber Wireless Light's compliment.


 

Brockhouse 1 ton Trailer

Brochouse trailers were introduced into the British Army in the 1950's and were produced in a number of different sizes and for different roles, this particular example is an ex generator trailer now serving as a GS. This trailer is a 1 ton example and in the GS form would have spent its life behind a number of different vehicles but generally the Bedford RL series of 3 Ton lorries. These trailers lasted well into the 1980's before being withdrawn from service.

The early design of these trailers used the split rim wheel technology of the day and it can be seen that the wheel and 20 inch tyre size are the same type and construction as the Humber 1 ton FV1600 series of vehicles.

 

Image pending